MADRID — Two more freed Cuban dissidents arrived in Spain on Wednesday, a day after the first batch from a total of 52 political prisoners who are being released by Havana, the foreign ministry said.
Journalists Normando Hernandez, 40, and Omar Rodriguez, 44, arrived at Madrid's Barajas airport on an Iberia flight along with 13 family members, a ministry spokesman said.
Seven others arrived in Spain on Tuesday, following Cuba's surprise deal with the Roman Catholic Church on July 7 to gradually free 52 detainees after dissident hunger striker Guillermo Farinas nearly starved to death.
It is the largest release of political prisoners since 1998 when 300 dissidents were spared jail time by a presidential pardon following a visit by then-pope John Paul II.
Havana wants to avoid a repeat of the death in detention of political prisoner Orlando Zapata on February 23 as it seeks closer international ties to improve its grim economic situation.
The seven dissidents who arrived in Madrid on Tuesday said their release heralded a new era for the communist island nation.
"This signifies the start of a new stage for the future of Cuba and all Cubans," they said in a joint statement after they arrived.
But experts point out that the mass release in 1998 was not followed by any large-scale lifting of oppressive measures since then, as hoped at the time.
"For me, this is a dream, it seems like what I am living is not real," one of the seven dissidents who arrived in Spain on Tuesday, Lester Gonzalez Penton, told AFP at a motel in suburban Madrid where they are staying.
The 33-year-old was accompanied by his wife, his mother, his stepfather and two sisters but had to leave his eight-year-old daughter from another relationship behind in Cuba because her mother would not let the girl leave.
"I am happy to be with my family but also sad for having abandoned my country," added Penton, an opposition journalist who was serving a 20-year prison term.
Julio Cesar Galvez, another one of the seven dissidents who arrived on Tuesday, said going from living in a small cell "without air, with mice, rats, cockroaches and scorpions" to being free and in Spain had been a "sudden change".
The 65-year-old said he would like to work as a journalist again.
He was dismissed from Cuban public radio in 2001 for secretly working for US media outlets like the Voice of America and was serving a 15-year sentence.
Twenty of the 52 dissidents being freed by Cuba this time around have agreed to emigrate to Spain.
All 52 dissidents were sentenced in 2003 to prison terms of between six and 28 years.
Another two dissidents, Luis Milan, 40, and Mijail Barzaga, 43, will arrive in Madrid on Thursday, the Spanish foreign ministry spokesman said.
Spain, the former colonial power in Cuba and the largest foreign investor in the country, helped broker the deal between the Cuban government and the Church.
Speaking during an annual state of the nation debate in parliament, Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said he was pleased with the "influence" which Madrid had demonstrated during the talks.
Spain has said it is willing to receive all of the prisoners after their release.
- #20mayo (3)
- #Cuba (7)
- #OZT (95)
- #ZapataLives (5)
- #ZapataVive (65)
- Aldo Forbice (1)
- Almodóvar (1)
- Amnesty International (6)
- Andria Medina (1)
- Andy Garcia (1)
- Argentina (1)
- Ariel Sigler Amaya (13)
- art-protest (6)
- Ban Ki-Moon (1)
- Black Spring (11)
- Bob Menendez (1)
- Canada (2)
- Carlos Alberto Montaner (3)
- Carlos Carralero (1)
- Catalonia (1)
- Catholic Church (76)
- Chile (3)
- CID (2)
- Cuba (217)
- Cyber-dissidence (10)
- Dania Virgen García (3)
- Darsi Ferrer (11)
- Declaration (1)
- deportations (2)
- dissidents (1)
- Dolia Leal (3)
- Efrén Fernández Fernández (2)
- Egberto Escobedo Morales (4)
- Elections in Cuba (2)
- Elizardo Sánchez Santa Cruz (7)
- Emilio Estefan (1)
- Europe (14)
- forced exile (8)
- Foto-acción (51)
- freedom (2)
- Freedom for Cuba (1)
- Geandy Pavon (3)
- Gloria Estefan (1)
- Granma (2)
- Guanajay prison (1)
- Guillermo del Sol (1)
- Guillermo Fariñas (46)
- Herta Müller (1)
- Huffington Post (1)
- human horror (1)
- human rights (44)
- Human Rights Watch (2)
- Hungary (1)
- hunger strike (35)
- independent journalists (10)
- Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (3)
- International press (17)
- Italy (2)
- Jorge Castañeda (1)
- Kwame Anthony Appiah (1)
- lack of medical attention (1)
- Ladies in White (42)
- Ladies in White Support Group (9)
- Laura Pollán (14)
- Licet Zamora (2)
- Loida Valdez (1)
- Madrid (1)
- Marc Masferrer (2)
- Martha Beatriz Roque (1)
- Mexico (1)
- Music (1)
- Nelson Aguiar (3)
- Nemesis (5)
- New Jersey (3)
- New York (4)
- Normando Hernández (5)
- NPR (1)
- NYC (2)
- OAS (1)
- Obama (3)
- opposition activists (23)
- Orlando Zapata Tamayo (56)
- Oscar El♂as Biscet (1)
- Oscar Elías Biscet (3)
- Oscar Sánchez Madam (1)
- Oscar's Cuba (1)
- Oswaldo Paya (2)
- OZT (65)
- Paquito D'Rivera (1)
- Pedro Argüelles (1)
- Pedro Luis Boitel (1)
- PEN (2)
- personalities (3)
- Photo-Action (16)
- political prisoners (176)
- prison conditions (2)
- PSOE (1)
- r Egberto Escobedo Morales (1)
- racial discrimination (1)
- RAI (1)
- Raul Castro (3)
- Reasons to sign the declaration (3)
- Reina Luisa Tamayo (23)
- repression (85)
- Ricardo Alarcón (2)
- Ricardo González Alfonso (3)
- RSF (5)
- Seville (1)
- signatures for freedom (3)
- Solidaridad (17)
- Solidarity (92)
- Spain (64)
- The 26 (2)
- The Group of 52 (1)
- torture (3)
- Union City (4)
- United Nations (1)
- US (28)
- US Press (30)
- USA (2)
- USINT (1)
- Vargas Llosa (1)
- Venezuela (2)
- Videos (1)
- Washington DC (1)
- West New York (3)
- World (4)
- Yoani Sánchez (6)
- Zapping (1)
- Report on the raid against human rights activists ...
- Cuban jails: human horror
- Jorge Castañeda: "Fariñas [...] achieved what no o...
- UPDATED: Guillermo Fariñas discharged from hospita...
- Cuban consulate in Seville, Spain, receives the mo...
- Ariel Sigler Amaya has arrived in Miami
- Dr. Darsi Ferrer: " It is very sad to see a countr...
- Ariel Sigler Amaya arrives in Miami
- One hundred thousand signatures collected in Italy...
- RSF interviews Ricardo González Alfonso
- #OZT soundly condemns the new wave of repression i...
- Cuba: opposition activists arrested when trying to...
- New video of #OZT at the Cuban mission to the UN i...
- UPDATED: Video of #OZT at the Cuban mission to the...
- Barcelona: Cuban regime refuses to receive our dec...
- Today: #OZT in New York, Miami, Barcelona and Mont...
- Five more deportations
- Five more political prisoners may be released (and...
- BREAKING: The regime refuses to accept our Declara...
- It starts today
- Marc Masferrer: Ariel Sigler flies to Miami on Jul...
- Promise of freedom raises new questions about Cuba...
- Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart wishes Dr. Biscet freedom...
- Nothing can silence them
- Reason Online: Cuba's "New Era" much like previous...
- Communiqué of the #OZT I Accuse the Cuban governme...
- Regime gives Permit to Leave the Country to Ariel ...
- AP: Cuba dissidents told Spain exile muddles US as...
- Marc Masferrer: Cuban political prisoner Efrén Fer...
- More than 52,000 signatures for freedom
- Regime says that will free more political prisoner...
- Our campaign will start delivering the signatures ...
- BREAKING: Ariel Sigler Amaya beaten and detained
- BREAKING: US diplomats in Cuba to meet jailed diss...
- Petition from the former prisoners of conscience e...
- NYT: Out of Prison, Still Not Free
- Bittersweet taste of freedom
- UN chief wants human rights improvement from Cuba
- AP: Spain to take 9 more Cuban political prisoner
- "I can't feel free as long as there is a political...
- The Miami Herald: It took more than dialogue to fr...
- The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights welc...
- The Miami Herald: Cuban cardinal visited U.S. befo...
- CNA: Exiled political prisoners call for release o...
- Released political prisoners vow to fight on for t...
- CNA: Dissident reaffirms dedication to fight for f...
- BBC: 'Cuba not opening up to democracy' - released...
- The [Hungarian] Foreign Ministry's statement on th...
- PEN American Center: José Luis García, Léster Gonz...
- The Miami Herald: Omar Rodríguez Saludes: "I left ...
- AP: Cuba prisoners shared cells with rats, roaches...
- The regime continues to prevent Ariel Sigler Amaya...
- Dozens arrested after honoring victims of 1994 tug...
- A picture worth a thousand words
- UPDATED: Not all political prisoners are willing t...
- AFP: Two more Cuban dissidents arrive in Spain: mi...
- Biscet, nine others refuse forced deportation
- AP: Freed Cubans face uncertain future in a Spain ...
- AFP: Dissidents' release does not signal Cuban shi...
- AFP: Four more Cuban dissidents to arrive in Spain...
- "Némesis" in Madrid
- RSF reacts to release of its correspondent in Cuba...
- Europa Press: First released Cuban political priso...
- Carlos Alberto Montaner: Raúl Castro, the Church a...
- Yoani Sanchez: Cuban Political Prisoner Offered Ex...
- BBC: Who are the first Cuban dissidents flown out ...
- AP: 7 political prisoners from Cuba arrive in Spai...
- PEN American Center hails release of Cuban recipie...
- CNA: First 11 freed Cuban [political] prisoners to...
- US Today: Chile opens door to Cubans awaiting pris...
- NYT: Cuban Prisoner Releases Shift Focus to Dissid...
- BBC: Spain set to receive Cuban dissidents on Tues...
- Spain's ABC newspaper: Laura Pollán: "As long as t...
- UPDATED: The repression continues: Reina Luisa sur...
- Not all political prisoners are willing to be exil...
- Names of the first political prisoners who will tr...
- Fariñas will restart hunger strike if regime does ...
- WaPo Editorial: Cuba's marginal gesture
- HRW: Cuba: Release of dissidents still leaves scor...
- Bait and Switch
- AI: Cuba urged to immediately release all prisoner...
- AFP Cuban dissident Farinas ends hunger strike
- Europa Press: Church reveals the names of the 5 pr...
- Spanish FM: Released political prisoners will trav...
- Al Jazeera video on yesterday's announcement
- List of prisoners scheduled for release
- Laura Pollán on The Miami Herald.
- AP: Church: Cuba offers to free 52 political priso...
- Opposition activists react to the news of the impe...
- Cuba will release 52 political prisoners, says the...
- #OZT video: I dream of freedom
- AP: FM: Spain wants more progress on Cuba human ri...
- AI video: Cuba and freedom of expression
- Reina Luisa: Zapata Lives!
- Signs from Cuba point to a possible massive deport...
- #OZT: More than 50,000 signatures for the release ...
- Chilean Minister of Foreign Affairs to petition th...
- Regime refuses to address Fariñas' demands
- Human rights on agenda of Spanish minister’s Cuba ...
- Out of repression, a new political movement is bor...
- ▼ July (100)