London - 8 July 2010
Amnesty International calls on the Cuban government to immediately free all prisoners of conscience, after authorities on Wednesday said 52 prisoners will be released.
Five of the 52 detainees, whose names are yet to be revealed, are due to be released shortly, while the remaining prisoners will be freed within 3 to 4 months, according to the agreement announced by Church officials yesterday.
“We welcome the commitment to release these prisoners but there is no reason why all 53 prisoners of conscience held in Cuba, should not be released immediately.” said Susan Lee, Americas Programme Director at Amnesty International.
“These men have been imprisoned since 2003 simply for peacefully expressing their political beliefs and should be released unconditionally now.”
One prisoner of conscience allegedly not included in the release plan, lawyer Rolando Jiménez Posada, is serving a 12 year prison sentence after being convicted of “disrespecting authority and revealing secrets about state security police” following his peaceful manifestation of support for political prisoners. Amnesty International is calling for his immediate release.
The Spanish foreign minister, Miguel Ángel Moratinos, said the released prisoners and their families could settle in Spain, following talks he held with Cuban authorities and Roman Catholic Church officials in Havana.
It is not clear whether the men would be given the option to remain in Cuba.
”Forcing them to leave the country would be yet another attempt to suppress freedom of expression and movement in Cuba,” Susan Lee.
The 52 were detained during the “Black Spring” crackdown in March 2003, when 75 dissidents were arrested, of which 23 have already been released.
Amnesty International declared them prisoners of conscience, as they acted non-violently and were imprisoned under Cuban legislation which illegitimately criminalizes political dissent.
The deal follows protests by Guillermo Fariñas, an independent journalist who says he is nearing death after being on hunger strike for more than 4 months calling for the release of prisoners of conscience that suffer serious medical conditions. Prisoner of conscience Orlando Zapata Tamayo, died on 22 February this year, after 11 weeks on hunger strike.
Amnesty International has repeatedly called on the Cuban government to immediately and unconditionally release all prisoners of conscience.
“The government must now fulfil its promise and immediately release these prisoners who should never have been jailed in the first place.”
Cuban authorities continue to deny the existence of political prisoners in the country, asserting that “nobody has ever been punished for merely expressing a difference of opinion or point of view, even when these have been contrary to those of the authorities.”
Amnesty International calls for the remaining political prisoners to be granted prompt and fair trials.
“The Cuban government must also end the harassment and intimidation of independent journalists, human rights activists and political dissidents.
”Vague and arbitrarily applied legal provisions, used to curb dissent within Cuba, must be reviewed to make human rights a reality for all Cubans”, concluded Susan Lee.
- #20mayo (3)
- #Cuba (7)
- #OZT (95)
- #ZapataLives (5)
- #ZapataVive (65)
- Aldo Forbice (1)
- Almodóvar (1)
- Amnesty International (6)
- Andria Medina (1)
- Andy Garcia (1)
- Argentina (1)
- Ariel Sigler Amaya (13)
- art-protest (6)
- Ban Ki-Moon (1)
- Black Spring (11)
- Bob Menendez (1)
- Canada (2)
- Carlos Alberto Montaner (3)
- Carlos Carralero (1)
- Catalonia (1)
- Catholic Church (76)
- Chile (3)
- CID (2)
- Cuba (217)
- Cyber-dissidence (10)
- Dania Virgen García (3)
- Darsi Ferrer (11)
- Declaration (1)
- deportations (2)
- dissidents (1)
- Dolia Leal (3)
- Efrén Fernández Fernández (2)
- Egberto Escobedo Morales (4)
- Elections in Cuba (2)
- Elizardo Sánchez Santa Cruz (7)
- Emilio Estefan (1)
- Europe (14)
- forced exile (8)
- Foto-acción (51)
- freedom (2)
- Freedom for Cuba (1)
- Geandy Pavon (3)
- Gloria Estefan (1)
- Granma (2)
- Guanajay prison (1)
- Guillermo del Sol (1)
- Guillermo Fariñas (46)
- Herta Müller (1)
- Huffington Post (1)
- human horror (1)
- human rights (44)
- Human Rights Watch (2)
- Hungary (1)
- hunger strike (35)
- independent journalists (10)
- Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (3)
- International press (17)
- Italy (2)
- Jorge Castañeda (1)
- Kwame Anthony Appiah (1)
- lack of medical attention (1)
- Ladies in White (42)
- Ladies in White Support Group (9)
- Laura Pollán (14)
- Licet Zamora (2)
- Loida Valdez (1)
- Madrid (1)
- Marc Masferrer (2)
- Martha Beatriz Roque (1)
- Mexico (1)
- Music (1)
- Nelson Aguiar (3)
- Nemesis (5)
- New Jersey (3)
- New York (4)
- Normando Hernández (5)
- NPR (1)
- NYC (2)
- OAS (1)
- Obama (3)
- opposition activists (23)
- Orlando Zapata Tamayo (56)
- Oscar El♂as Biscet (1)
- Oscar Elías Biscet (3)
- Oscar Sánchez Madam (1)
- Oscar's Cuba (1)
- Oswaldo Paya (2)
- OZT (65)
- Paquito D'Rivera (1)
- Pedro Argüelles (1)
- Pedro Luis Boitel (1)
- PEN (2)
- personalities (3)
- Photo-Action (16)
- political prisoners (176)
- prison conditions (2)
- PSOE (1)
- r Egberto Escobedo Morales (1)
- racial discrimination (1)
- RAI (1)
- Raul Castro (3)
- Reasons to sign the declaration (3)
- Reina Luisa Tamayo (23)
- repression (85)
- Ricardo Alarcón (2)
- Ricardo González Alfonso (3)
- RSF (5)
- Seville (1)
- signatures for freedom (3)
- Solidaridad (17)
- Solidarity (92)
- Spain (64)
- The 26 (2)
- The Group of 52 (1)
- torture (3)
- Union City (4)
- United Nations (1)
- US (28)
- US Press (30)
- USA (2)
- USINT (1)
- Vargas Llosa (1)
- Venezuela (2)
- Videos (1)
- Washington DC (1)
- West New York (3)
- World (4)
- Yoani Sánchez (6)
- Zapping (1)
- Report on the raid against human rights activists ...
- Cuban jails: human horror
- Jorge Castañeda: "Fariñas [...] achieved what no o...
- UPDATED: Guillermo Fariñas discharged from hospita...
- Cuban consulate in Seville, Spain, receives the mo...
- Ariel Sigler Amaya has arrived in Miami
- Dr. Darsi Ferrer: " It is very sad to see a countr...
- Ariel Sigler Amaya arrives in Miami
- One hundred thousand signatures collected in Italy...
- RSF interviews Ricardo González Alfonso
- #OZT soundly condemns the new wave of repression i...
- Cuba: opposition activists arrested when trying to...
- New video of #OZT at the Cuban mission to the UN i...
- UPDATED: Video of #OZT at the Cuban mission to the...
- Barcelona: Cuban regime refuses to receive our dec...
- Today: #OZT in New York, Miami, Barcelona and Mont...
- Five more deportations
- Five more political prisoners may be released (and...
- BREAKING: The regime refuses to accept our Declara...
- It starts today
- Marc Masferrer: Ariel Sigler flies to Miami on Jul...
- Promise of freedom raises new questions about Cuba...
- Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart wishes Dr. Biscet freedom...
- Nothing can silence them
- Reason Online: Cuba's "New Era" much like previous...
- Communiqué of the #OZT I Accuse the Cuban governme...
- Regime gives Permit to Leave the Country to Ariel ...
- AP: Cuba dissidents told Spain exile muddles US as...
- Marc Masferrer: Cuban political prisoner Efrén Fer...
- More than 52,000 signatures for freedom
- Regime says that will free more political prisoner...
- Our campaign will start delivering the signatures ...
- BREAKING: Ariel Sigler Amaya beaten and detained
- BREAKING: US diplomats in Cuba to meet jailed diss...
- Petition from the former prisoners of conscience e...
- NYT: Out of Prison, Still Not Free
- Bittersweet taste of freedom
- UN chief wants human rights improvement from Cuba
- AP: Spain to take 9 more Cuban political prisoner
- "I can't feel free as long as there is a political...
- The Miami Herald: It took more than dialogue to fr...
- The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights welc...
- The Miami Herald: Cuban cardinal visited U.S. befo...
- CNA: Exiled political prisoners call for release o...
- Released political prisoners vow to fight on for t...
- CNA: Dissident reaffirms dedication to fight for f...
- BBC: 'Cuba not opening up to democracy' - released...
- The [Hungarian] Foreign Ministry's statement on th...
- PEN American Center: José Luis García, Léster Gonz...
- The Miami Herald: Omar Rodríguez Saludes: "I left ...
- AP: Cuba prisoners shared cells with rats, roaches...
- The regime continues to prevent Ariel Sigler Amaya...
- Dozens arrested after honoring victims of 1994 tug...
- A picture worth a thousand words
- UPDATED: Not all political prisoners are willing t...
- AFP: Two more Cuban dissidents arrive in Spain: mi...
- Biscet, nine others refuse forced deportation
- AP: Freed Cubans face uncertain future in a Spain ...
- AFP: Dissidents' release does not signal Cuban shi...
- AFP: Four more Cuban dissidents to arrive in Spain...
- "Némesis" in Madrid
- RSF reacts to release of its correspondent in Cuba...
- Europa Press: First released Cuban political priso...
- Carlos Alberto Montaner: Raúl Castro, the Church a...
- Yoani Sanchez: Cuban Political Prisoner Offered Ex...
- BBC: Who are the first Cuban dissidents flown out ...
- AP: 7 political prisoners from Cuba arrive in Spai...
- PEN American Center hails release of Cuban recipie...
- CNA: First 11 freed Cuban [political] prisoners to...
- US Today: Chile opens door to Cubans awaiting pris...
- NYT: Cuban Prisoner Releases Shift Focus to Dissid...
- BBC: Spain set to receive Cuban dissidents on Tues...
- Spain's ABC newspaper: Laura Pollán: "As long as t...
- UPDATED: The repression continues: Reina Luisa sur...
- Not all political prisoners are willing to be exil...
- Names of the first political prisoners who will tr...
- Fariñas will restart hunger strike if regime does ...
- WaPo Editorial: Cuba's marginal gesture
- HRW: Cuba: Release of dissidents still leaves scor...
- Bait and Switch
- AI: Cuba urged to immediately release all prisoner...
- AFP Cuban dissident Farinas ends hunger strike
- Europa Press: Church reveals the names of the 5 pr...
- Spanish FM: Released political prisoners will trav...
- Al Jazeera video on yesterday's announcement
- List of prisoners scheduled for release
- Laura Pollán on The Miami Herald.
- AP: Church: Cuba offers to free 52 political priso...
- Opposition activists react to the news of the impe...
- Cuba will release 52 political prisoners, says the...
- #OZT video: I dream of freedom
- AP: FM: Spain wants more progress on Cuba human ri...
- AI video: Cuba and freedom of expression
- Reina Luisa: Zapata Lives!
- Signs from Cuba point to a possible massive deport...
- #OZT: More than 50,000 signatures for the release ...
- Chilean Minister of Foreign Affairs to petition th...
- Regime refuses to address Fariñas' demands
- Human rights on agenda of Spanish minister’s Cuba ...
- Out of repression, a new political movement is bor...
- ▼ July (100)